top of page

RELIGION PHOTOS

Click On The Photograph To Expand And  Link To Relevant Publication

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Osgathorpe. Built in 1829 on the corner of Chapel Lane opposite Snarrow’s Lane. The early Wesleyan Methodist dissenter’s meetings in Osgathorpe would have been held in a “Meeting House” in someone’s private dwelling. We know a Methodist Society was established in Griffydam before 1761 and it is most likely the Osgathorpe society would have been established around the same time.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Osgathorpe The site of the former chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Osgathorpe View from Main Street with the chapel in the distance on the RH side

St Mary's Church Osgathorpe

St Mary's Church Osgathorpe

The parish church to Saint Mary the Blessed Virgin, is recorded as being first founded in 1204. It was extensively restored c.1861 by Joseph Mitchell at a cost of £800. The church was awarded Grade ll listing in 1965.

Methodist Chapel

Methodist Chapel

Worthington Primitive Methodist 1820-1833 Wesleyan Methodist 1833-2022 Worthington was one of the earliest Primitive chapels still in use prior to its closure and sale to the Wesleyan Methodists in 1833

Methodist Chapel

Methodist Chapel

Worthington c. 2022 The tablet on the front of the chapel dates it as 1820, only two years after the third Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1818 in Loughborough. The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel finally closed in 2022.

Methodist Chapel

Methodist Chapel

Worthington Inside Of Chapel After Closure

Methodist Chapel

Methodist Chapel

Worthington Inside Of Chapel After Closure

Baptist Chapel

Baptist Chapel

Coleorton Baptists apparently used the former Swannington Quaker meeting house in 1807, but later moved to the above premises at 'The Rowlands' near the boundary with Coleorton.

Baptist Chapel

Baptist Chapel

Coleorton A c.2014 photograph of the Baptist chapel following conversion into a private residence

Baptist Chapel

Baptist Chapel

Coleorton A photograph of the interior of the chapel taken during what was thought to be a Harvest Festival service (probably late 1900s)

Baptist Chapel

Baptist Chapel

Coleorton The Baptist Chapel 1914-1918 War Memorial plaque which can be seen in the interior photograph of the chapel.

Baptist Chapel

Baptist Chapel

Coleorton Presented in 1906 to Abraham Willet who worshipped at the Baptist Chapel. His great grandson the Rev. Andrew Willett assumes that the coffee pot was a leaving gift when he moved to Bagworth to work at the colliery there.

Baptist Chapel

Baptist Chapel

Coleorton Abraham Willet who worshipped at the Baptist Chapel. He took the job of No.1 pit manager at Bagworth colliery, but sadly died in February 1909 aged just 41. Abraham worshiped at Cross Hills Baptist church when he moved to Bagworth and is buried at Cross hills.

Baptist Chapel

Baptist Chapel

Coleorton Abraham Willet's wife Jane (nee. Rowell)

St John's Chapel

St John's Chapel

Coleorton The chapel to St. John the Apostle and Evangelist was built in 1857 as a mortuary chapel for the extended graveyard. In the 1960’s, after a period of some neglect, it was renovated and re-consecrated by the Bishop of Leicester as a place of worship. Until recently, regular services were held there.

St John's Chapel

St John's Chapel

Coleorton A stained glass leaded window in the Chapel in memory of Canon W. B. Beaumont Inscribed At Top: THE REAPERS ARE THE ANGELS Inscribed at bottom: IN MEMORY OF WILLIAM BERESFORD BEAUMONT M.A.

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Photo c. 1980. The original Coleorton Primitive Methodist Chapel was erected in 1839. Sir George Beaumont, Lord of the Manor 1845 -1882 would not allow non-conformist churches within the Parish of Coleorton and therefore it was sited in the area known as “Rotten Row” that was within the Parish of Thringstone at that time. It closed in 1901 when the new chapel adjacent to it was built and was used as a 'Sunday School' . It is now a private residence

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Coleorton The original slate plaque on the front of the building dated 1839

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Coleorton This banner was displayed in the original Chapel when it became a Sunday School following the building of the new Chapel in 1901. It is kept in the Coleorton Archives at Ashby Museum.

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Darby & Joan club on holiday in Barmouth. The club started before 1950 and was still running in the 1970’s. The club was run for most of it’s time by Billy Brooks and his wife Renee seen on each end of front row. Lill Richard’s 4th left, front row & husband Johnny, centre back row. Third left on third row is Violet Hewitt, and next to her is Mary Barkby with husband Frederick Barkby third left on fourth row.

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Meeting at the old Chapel c. 1955. The first gentleman from the left on the front row is Wallis Birch with his second wife Julia on his left side. Next to her is Emma Benson. On the far right is Clarrie Whyman with Sheila Bannister on her knee. Herbert Bannister is sitting on his grandmother, Mary Barkby‘s knee.

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Darby and Joan Committee outing at Skegness. In the car, from left to right, are - Renee Brooks, Mrs. Parry, and Mrs. Holland. At the back are Mrs. Dora Wright, Agnes Stewart (the author’ Mum) and Florrie Shepherd. It is thought that Mrs. Knighton is turning the starting handle and was president of the club. Dora Wright who lived in Bakewell’s Lane with husband Herbert and daughters Jill and Pam was treasurer for many years.

New Methodist Chapel

New Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Snow clearing - Photograph taken c.1910 From Left to Right - John Henry Bonser, Jim Stewart, John Whyman, Bill Fowkes, Samuel Bonser, George Hall. In 1899, the start of the building of the new Coleorton Primitive Methodist Chapel commenced, on adjoining land to the original Chapel, and it was ready for use in 1901.

New Methodist Chapel

New Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Interior of Coleorton Primitive Methodist Chapel prior to closure in 2011

New Methodist Chapel

New Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Interior of Coleorton Primitive Methodist Chapel prior to closure in 2011

Old Methodist Chapel

Old Methodist Chapel

Coleorton The Coleorton Primitive Methodist Sunday School Choir - 1928 A = Frank Bailey, B = Bill Fowkes (Conductor), C = Lena Marriot, D = ? Richards ( Teacher at Newbold School), E = Violet Turner, F = Doris Fowkes, G = Jenny Rowell (Organist), H = Joe Pargeter, J = May Wright, K = Ron Haywood.

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Old Primitive Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Inscribed on the cup:- This cup was won at three consecutive choir competitions - By the children of the Coleorton P.M. Sunday School - Finally won Sept 15th 1928.

New Methodist Chapel

New Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Thought to have been taken outside the Chapel, during the Golden Jubilee celebrations Top Row Left to Right :- Freerson Mee (Conductor), John Whyman, Laban Clifford, Jack Richards, Billy Benson Bottom Row Left to Right :- Samuel Stewart, Charlie Wright, Frankie Bailey, Jim Stewart (older brother of Samuel), Herbert Rowell

New Methodist Chapel

New Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Thought to have been taken outside the Chapel, during the Golden Jubilee celebrations Left to Right 1st Row: Mrs Freerson Mee, Mrs Wright, Polly Whyman, Clara Stewart (aunty of the author) Ada Stewart (Grandma of the author), Greta Stewart (sister of the author) 2nd Row: Freerson Mee, Laban Clifford, Samuel Stewart, Frankie Bailey, Jim Stewart (older brother of Samuel), 3rd Row: John Whyman, Charlie Wright, Jack Richards, Billy Benson, Herbert Rowell

New Methodist Chapel

New Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Chapel Outing c.1945. Left to Right :- Mrs Bailey , Mr Frankie Bailey, Mrs Ada Stewart (nee Marson & grandma of the author), Elsie Hibbert (nee Brooks), Mr Samuel Stewart (grandfather of the author). None of the other names are known

New Methodist Chapel

New Methodist Chapel

Coleorton The wedding of Greta Stewart to Peter Cooper of Bridge Road, Coalville, taken outside Coleorton Primitive Methodist Chapel. The reception for over 100 guests was held at “Viscount Beaumont Church of England School”. Her sister Betty and Edna Hodges were the older bridesmaids. The old Primitive Methodist Chapel is in the distance.

New Methodist Chapel

New Methodist Chapel

Coleorton Last Chapel Service held on July 10th 2011 Facing are Betty Weston (nee. Stewart, sister of the author), and her husband Leslie Weston. All the Stewart family are proud to have been associated with this Chapel and to have had the privilege to know some of the stalwarts who worked so hard to keep it alive.

Sion Baptist Chapel

Sion Baptist Chapel

Peggs Green The Chapel was established in 1795. The photograph is of Clara Stewart (wife of James Stewart, mother Ann Hall - b.1851) at the end of Zion cottages on the site of the former Sion Chapel, with Zion Hill in the background

Providence Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Providence Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Gelsmoor The old remains of the chapel, schoolroom and manse c.1980. From a lease dated 1814 we know that the Gelsmoor Wesleyan Methodists had a Meeting House in an enlarged barn called by the name of Providence Chapel. How long prior to 1814 the Wesleyan Methodists' had been worshiping in this building is not known.

Providence Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Providence Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Gelsmoor View from Gelsmoor Rd. with the remains of Chapel on the left

Providence Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Providence Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Gelsmoor View from Manse side

Providence Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Providence Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Gelsmoor View on corner of Chapel from the road

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam Looking down Elder Lane - early 1900s. The Chapel was built in 1778, enlarged in 1791 and thrived for decades. In 1862 it was refurbished and enlarged again to accommodate around 200 people. For years the Chapel was the focus of village life but after the Second World War attendances began to decline. Just before it closed in 2005 it was the oldest Chapel in Leicestershire still in use.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam An alternative view of the chapel showing the end of William Garner's cottage built by him prior to the chapel being built. In this view a gravestone can be discerned just to the left of the rear extension on the cottage.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam Plaque above front door 2011 METHODIST CHAPEL ERECTED 1778 ENLARGED 1791 RESTORED AND ENLARGED 1862

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam The bust of John Wesley which stood in the chapel to his memory. It was recorded in the Methodist magazine of 1825, that John Wesley held a service in the fields at Griffydam in 1743, even before the chapel itself was built. John Wesley preached at Griffydam Weslay Methodist Chapel on at least two occasions - the second being on July 19th 1779

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam Internal photograph of Chapel taken from the upper gallery, thought to have been added during the chapel enlargement in 1862. The chapel then provided seating for approx 200 people.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam Photograph of interior taken 2005 following closure. This shows John Wesley’s bust moved to a position under the clock with a commemorative plaque underneath it.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam Mrs Sarah Witham outside the 18th century caretakers cottage. It was originally built by William Garner to the south of where the Chapel was subsequently erected in 1778. The cottage became a home for the Chapel caretakers' and Mr & Mrs Witham were the last known caretakers' to live there prior to it being demolished post 1931 to make room for further burials in the graveyard.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam The Sunday School was built to the left of the Chapel and opened in 1932. The internal photograph of the Sunday School was taken after the chapel closed

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam Photograph taken at the opening of the new Sunday School building in 1932 built by Ramsdens’ of Castle Donnington. Left to Right :- Walter Davies (Local Preacher and Sunday School Superintendent), Frank Rowell, Herbert Rowell (Local Preacher & Trustee and Herbert Eric Rowell's grandfather), John Johnson (Miss Florrie Johnson’s father, local Preacher and always first up to speak at the “Love Feast”), Leonard Wesley Rowell (Steward for 40 years) with his son Herbert Eric Rowell

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam A Wedding re-enactment by children of the Sunday School. When the photograph was taken, William Garner’s cottage (caretakers' cottage) had been demolished. Note the Minister in the foreground and the horse on the RH side. Chris Richards, who currently lives at Newbold is behind the horse.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam The Wesley Guild Parade marching down The Tentas and on to Elder Lane near the Chapel in 1931. The first gentleman on the left is Tom Saddington and Mrs. Sarah Witham, the Chapel caretaker is looking on from the garden of the caretakers cottage

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam The above photograph is of a Sunday School outing in the late 1940’s The people known to be in the photograph are A – Rose Bradford, B - Archie Burton, C – Dennis Else, D – Ron Burton, E - Mrs. Liquorish, F - Florence Hilda Burton.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Griffydam View of the Chapel and old part of Cemetery from The Tentas. Although the Chapel is now closed, the cemetery remains open for new burials. It should be remembered, that burials took place here from a wide area, including Coleorton, Peggs Green, Breedon, Lount, Swannington, Worthington, Stordon Grange and Newbold, in addition to Griffydam of course.

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Griffydam The new Griffydam Wesleyan Reform Chapel was opened on 27th April 1858 by Rev Jabez Burns DD of London, and services were conducted on 2nd May 1858 by Mr J W Acrill of Mansfield. Sabbath School was resumed on 16th May, when forty children attended.

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Griffydam A recent photo of the Chapel. It is also known as The Chapel In The Valley

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Griffydam

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Griffydam Interior of the Chapel

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Griffydam Harvest Festival 1992

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Wesleyan Reform Chapel

Griffydam Sunday School Anniversary c.1968 with the Waggon and Horses public house in the background.

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Lount Photo of a typical abandoned Methodist Tin Tabernacle in Yorkshire similar to the one used at Lount for the Primitive Methodist Chapel

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Lount Photo of Samuel Stewart 1854-1932 Samuel Stewart and his next door neighbour William Fairbrother, were the driving force behind the Chapel, and in the 1889 circuit plan, Samuel was listed as the Steward, and William as secretary. The Stewart families were staunch Methodists, and members of the family carried on their work in Lount, Melbourne and Coleorton for over 100 years.

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Lount Photo of William Fairbrother 1853-1927 Chapel Secretary

bottom of page