top of page

PUBLIC HOUSES PHOTOS

Click On The Photograph To Expand And  Link To Relevant Publication

Malt Shovel

Malt Shovel

Worthington c.1955 - Henry Brooks on his Ferguson tractor passing the Malt Shovel on the corner of Town End, Main Street & Bull Hill

Malt Shovel

Malt Shovel

Worthington 1906 - Town end, looking back into the village with the Malt Shovel on the right on the corner with Bull Hill Lane. Near left is Town End cottage

Malt Shovel

Malt Shovel

Worthington An aerial view of the Malt Shovel Inn c.1956. The adjoining Malt Shovel cottages on Bull Hill lane were later demolished.

Malt Shovel

Malt Shovel

Worthington In the bar of the Malt Shovel c.1962 From L to R - Demma Watkins, Billy King, Dorothy Woodhall (nee Sommerton), Henry Menzies, and Johnny Brownlow. Johnny is trying to hide under the collar of his coat as he should have been working at Lount pit at the time.

Holly Bush Inn

Holly Bush Inn

Worthington Formally on the slopes of Cloud Hill Wood adjacent to the Southern End of Cloud Hill Quarry The pub closed on 26th June 1964 when an application was not renewed and shortly after was pulled down in 1965 to make way for the quarry to be extended.

Holly Bush Inn

Holly Bush Inn

Worthington c. 1955

Minnie Platts

Minnie Platts

Holly Bush Inn The Popular Landlady Minnie Platts At The Door Of The Holly Bush In 1963

Mr Cox

Mr Cox

Mr. Cox, Gamekeeper To Lord Donington Who Was Minnie Platt's Father C.1900

Mr Hines

Mr Hines

Holly Bush Inn Manager The Holly Bush was owned by Breedon & Cloud Hill Quarry Ltd and the manager of the inn at one time was a Mr. Hines who was a Thatcher by trade

Holly Bush Inn

Holly Bush Inn

Worthington In The Bar Of The Holly Bush In 1963 Shortly After Closing Time. Amongst The Customers Are Reg (Wedger) Jordan And Ok Hinsley

Holly Bush Inn

Holly Bush Inn

Worthington The Club Room In The Holly Bush Was Used For Parties And Functions. Here Celebrating Victory In The 2nd World War Are Mr & Mrs. Jordan, "Duckie" Platts, Oliver Smith, Arthur Hinsley And At The Back To The Right, Big Jim Smith

Holly Bush Inn

Holly Bush Inn

Worthington The Quorn Hunt Who Used To Meet Regularly At The Holly Bush Are Shown Here In 1958

Holly Bush Inn

Holly Bush Inn

Worthington Charlie Shields With Quorn Huntsman George Barker Taking A Warming Styrup Cup In The Top Yard Of The Holly Bush Before The Off In 1958

Holly Bush Inn

Holly Bush Inn

Worthington The Quorn Hunt passing "the Delph" on the way to their meet at the Holly Bush, Cloud Hill in 1963

The Old Swan Inn

The Old Swan Inn

Worthington The Old Swan Inn c.1900, when William Cooper would have been the landlord thought to have closed c.1994, although it was advertised for auction in July 1984

The Old Swan Inn

The Old Swan Inn

Worthington A rear view of the Old Swan Inn c.1955 Opposite can be seen the end of St. Matthews Church

The Old Swan Inn

The Old Swan Inn

Worthington Taking refreshments outside the Old Swan Inn in 1930. Standing at the back on the right is Mr. Cooper, the landlord of the Swan at that time. Others enjoying a drink in the sunshine are:- Front left - Tom Fairbrother, holding the jug, next to him is Tom Hickling ; on the right of Tom - Oliver Smith ; and on the extreme right is Joe Walker, later to become the landlord of the Malt Shovel Inn

Cross Keys

Cross Keys

Newbold The original 'Cross Keys Beer House which was located in the front rooms of a residential property was in use in 1819 based on a newspaper report

Cross Keys

Cross Keys

Newbold The 'New Cross Keys' public house was built sometime between 1881 and 1901

Cross Keys

Cross Keys

Newbold Licensee Gerald Shaw, complete with handlebar moustache, behind the bar of the New Cross Keys in 1966. His wife Joan is talking to Mrs. Linny Shaw, Gerald's mother (and Candy the poodle)

Cross Keys

Cross Keys

Newbold Gerald Shaw, the landlord of the new Cross Keys, offering local farmer, Frank Hewitt, a stirrup cup at the Quorn Hunt meet in 1962

Cross Keys

Cross Keys

Newbold Quorn Hunt meet in 1962

Travellers Rest

Travellers Rest

Griffydam Photo 1935. It was registered as a “Beer House” until 1936, when official licensing records became unavailable. From 1872 to 1880 the “Traveller’s Rest” was listed as a “Wine & Beer House”.

Travellers Rest Football Team

Travellers Rest Football Team

Griffydam The “Griffydam Swifts” Football Team In 1904 Pictured Outside The Traveller’s Rest Beerhouse

Travellers Rest

Travellers Rest

Griffydam A remarkable photograph of a proud marksmen and friend with their trophy of a rabbit standing outside the Traveller’s Rest Beerhouse. Their names were Mr. Hines and Mr. King. The photograph was taken c.1920.

Travellers Rest

Travellers Rest

Griffydam The Batson Family with William Batson's name on the License board. In the official Ashby licensing records there was no licensees name given between 1897 and 1905 but we have William Batson shown as the licensee in the 1901 census, and it is thought he was the licensee during that period until 1905 when John Emmerson took over

Travellers Rest

Travellers Rest

Griffydam Malcolm Allured of Showaddywaddy fame purchased the pub in 1978 and turned it into the well known Traveller's nightclub.

Travellers Rest

Travellers Rest

Griffydam The Travellers was demolished in 2002 and rebuilt as a pseudo farm courtyard of houses named Batsons’ Court. The courtyard was given its name by a pupil from Griffydam Primary School who won a competition to name the new development. It was named after her ancestor, William Batson.

Griffin Inn

Griffin Inn

Griffydam Griffin Inn as it was in 1931 when Thomas Williamson was the licensee. Mrs. Williamson is standing outside with her son in arms and the pet dog. The earliest record we have for this public house is 1852. It is now a residential property.

Griffin Inn

Griffin Inn

Griffydam The “Griffin Inn” Domino team c.1959 L to R – Albert Kilby, Jack Hill, Ben Stone, Albert Abbott, Harry Frear, Thomas Hodges and Arthur Else

Griffin Inn

Griffin Inn

Griffydam George Henry Kilby, the licensee from 1917 to 1921

Griffin Inn

Griffin Inn

Griffydam George Henry Kilby, with his four sons from left to right:- Jack, Albert, Walter, Joe. He had a total of ten children. Following his 4 years as licensee of the Griffin Inn, he became landlord at the Waggon and Horses, Griffydam for 10 years, following which he became a coal miner and died in Griffydam in 1947.

Waggon & Horses

Waggon & Horses

Griffydam c. 1895 with the Waggon & Horses On The Right The Waggon & Horses was in existence as an Ale House/Inn/Public House and "possibly" a former Coaching Inn or Staging Post for over 200 years

Waggon & Horses

Waggon & Horses

Griffydam C. 2014 Just Prior To Being Converted Into A Private Residence

Rising Sun

Rising Sun

Griffydam The property was originally 3 cottages and 2 stables. In the mid 1800's Thomas Upton acquired one of the cottages plus 2 stables and opened the Rising Sun pub here. From 1891-1897 it was owned by Andrew Tugby. It closed in 1908 after being deemed by the Licencing Authority as structurally unsuitable. The cottages were later converted into one dwelling. Malcolm Allured of Showaddywaddy fame lived here during the 1980’s.

Red Lion

Red Lion

Peggs Green c. 1900. The earliest reliable evidence found by the author of the Red Lion’s existence was in 1842 when it was recorded in the Ashby de la Zouch register of licenses.

Red Lion

Red Lion

Peggs Green Red Lion Darts Team with John Stevenson on the extreme right (known as Jack) was landlord of the Red Lion for 42 years, from 1906 to 1948. Photograph taken some time before 1948.

Red Lion

Red Lion

Peggs Green Home Guard outside the Inn. Back Row L to R – (1) Cyril Marshall, (2) Ken Harrison, (3) Mr. Fern (4) B.Walker (5) Mr. Collins, (6) B.Hall, (7) H.Brooks. Middle Row L to R – (1) Bill Blakey (New Engine Inn landlord), (2) Mr. Fairbrother, (3) Gordon Morley, (4) Jack Leeson, (5) John Archie Burton, (6) T. Shaw (7) ?? (8) ?? Bottom Row L to R – (1) W. Nutting (2) A. Bromley (3) Arthur Else, (4) Sire Weston, (5) Gerald Burton, (6) Brian Hickling (7) Vic Clements

The New Engine Inn

The New Engine Inn

Peggs Green The above is a pre 1931 photograph of Nathan Hall surrounded by his family. Nathan was the landlord of the "New Engine Inn" from 1922 to 1934. He was married for the second time in 1931 to Maria Mabel Wardle, the marriage certificate confirms his occupation as Inn Keeper.

New Inn

New Inn

Peggs Green Robert Cox was listed as the licensee in 1825, although the New Inn would have been operating as an Ale House well before that date. It is remarkable after all this time that the New Inn is still operating as a public house.

New Inn

New Inn

Peggs Green Photograph of the New Inn holiday club at Blackpool or Yarmouth

Ferrers Arms

Ferrers Arms

Lount The Quorn Hunt at the Ferrers Arms c.1950 Originally known as the 'Horse and Groom' the Ferrers Arms was originally a farm house. It was registered as an Alehouse in 1789 up to 1814 with Thomas Mason as the Licensee.

Ferrers Arms

Ferrers Arms

Lount Interior of Ferrer’s Arms 1969

Ferrers Arms

Ferrers Arms

Lount Interior of Ferrer’s Arms 1969

The Angel Inn

The Angel Inn

Coleorton We can trace it back to 1801 with a degree of certainty but it is possible that the Angel Inn as a farm house and Ale House would have gone back as far as 1700's. It is now closed and being converted into a private residence.

Angel Inn

Angel Inn

Coleorton Mrs. Mabel Croson, licensee of the Angel Inn for nearly 30 years, and her husband Mr. Jack Croson. They left the Inn to retire to Swannington following a farewell party in1966. Mrs Croson was noted for her large collection of brassware.

Queen's Head

Queen's Head

Coleorton The Queen’s Head after being converted into a modern residential property some years ago photo c.1980. It was occasionally referred to as the "Old Queen's Head Inn", presumably due to its considerable age and can be traced back to 1753 as an Ale House, when John Potter was the victualler.

Beaumont Arms

Beaumont Arms

Coleorton The Beaumont Arms building in 1994 before being demolished The earliest record of it as a public house was when Thomas Stinson (former licensee of the Bell Inn Coleorton) moved to the Beaumont Arms c.1830 with his wife and children, but sadly died there in 1833.

Beaumont Arms

Beaumont Arms

Coleorton John Peck Charville, Landlord, standing outside the front entrance The earliest record of its existence as a public house was when Thomas Stinson who was the former licensee of the Bell Inn Coleorton moved to the Beaumont Arms c.1830 with his wife and children, but sadly died there in 1833.

Packhorse Inn

Packhorse Inn

Preston's Lane, Coleorton A photograph showing part of the cottage thought to be the original Packhorse Inn. It may have got its name from the pack horses and ponies kept near the premises. The property is thought to date back to the mid 1700’s and the date "1767" is carved into a beam above one fireplace. The earliest record found for a licensee dates back to Jacob Webster, the licensee from 1819 to 1827.

George Inn

George Inn

Loughborough Road, Coleorton An early 1900s photograph. Still in existence and much changed now from the original building in the days it was named the “Rose & Crown” and was an Ale House. It was thought to have been built at the end of the 18th century as a farm house. The earliest record for a licensee was from 1846 to 1863 when Thomas Statham was the licensee.

George Inn

George Inn

Loughborough Road, Coleorton The Jordon Brothers Photograph courtesy of Ruth Twells. From February 1907, the George Inn was rented by the Jordan family. Harold Jordan (b.1880 d.1925) was the licensee from 1907 till his death in 1925 when Grace Elizabeth (Lizzie) Jordan (b.1881 d.1957) took over the license till 1929

George Inn

George Inn

Loughborough Road, Coleorton Photograph during the period when Grace Jordan was licensee (1907-1929)

George Inn

George Inn

Loughborough Road, Coleorton

Old Engine Inn

Old Engine Inn

Elvaston's Yard, Coleorton The only surviving photograph before it became a private residence. It is not known when it was built, but licensing records show that it was an Ale House in 1820 when William Parker was the licensee. Thought to be named after the “fire engine” installed just beyond the existing cottages, to pump water out of “Boultbee’s Mine".

Blacksmith's Arms

Blacksmith's Arms

Coleorton The sketch illustrates how the Blacksmith Arms would have looked. It was built in the old area of Coleorton known as 'Rotten Row'. The Blacksmith's Arms was actually a 'Beer House and Wine House' originally and the earliest record of a licensee found was for Joseph Person in 1872. It was demolished in 1961.

Blacksmith's Arms

Blacksmith's Arms

Coleorton Coal miners Alonzo ("Dicki") Holland and Tom Fairbrother (seated) enjoying a glass of beer from the Blacksmith's Arms. The photo, taken on Lower Moor Road on the opposite side to the Blacksmith's Arms, can be dated approximately by how old Tom looks (he was recorded as age 23 in 1901 census)

Railway Inn

Railway Inn

Gelsmoor Following the closure of New Lount colliery in 1968 the Railway inn declined and changed ownership. The property is much changed internally from the original following its change of use to a restaurant known as 'The Gelsmoor'

Railway Inn

Railway Inn

Gelsmoor The earliest record found for a licensee was in 1843 when George Crabtree held the position till 1889. It was once known as the Railway Tavern and sometime after 1936 the Railway Inn.

The Storey Arms

The Storey Arms

Main Street Osgathorpe (Formerly the 'Seven Stars' and 'Cock & Mitten') . It was first opened as a public house in the 18th century. When the house sign in the above photograph was made, the name was incorrectly spelt as it should have been spelt 'Story' after the lord of the manor, John Bainbrigge Story

The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak

Main Street Osgathorpe The Royal Oak was an Ale House as part of a farm house, going back to the mid 1700’s. It is now a private residence

Derek Hogg

Derek Hogg

Royal Oak, Osgathorpe Leicester City Footballer purchased the Royal Oak in Osgathorpe as a Free House in 1971 and left 12 years later in 1983.

Stock Yard

Stock Yard

Rempstone Road, Osgathorpe The former Gate Inn, following its conversion to a night club and restaurant and re-named the “Stockyard”.

The Saracen's Head

The Saracen's Head

Heath End The above photograph of the Saracen’s Head Inn/farm house, was thought to have been taken in the mid 1900’s. The earliest reference we can find to the Saracen’s Head being opened is 1865. It closed c.2000 and is now a private residence.

The Saracen's Head

The Saracen's Head

Heath End The van in the photograph suggests that this picture was probably taken c.1960. Note the sign now hanging from the pole extending from the farm house/inn in this picture, and a smaller plaque above the right hand ground floor window.

The Saracen's Head

The Saracen's Head

Heath End The above photograph was taken not long before the Saracen’s Head closed c.2000, although the landlord Norman Grey and his wife Ann lived there for a while after the pub closed

bottom of page