top of page

PEOPLE PHOTOS

Click On The Photograph To Expand And  Link To Relevant Publication

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Hannah Marson (nee. Barkby). The second wife of Charlie Marson, the Coleorton Master Nailmaker outside 'Marson’s Cottage' where they lived c.1900. Here she is visiting her in-laws after leaving the cottage following her husband Charlie's death. Marson's Cottage (also known as Ivy Cottage and The Thatches) is the only thatched cottage to have survived to this day in Coleorton and was thought to have been originally built in the 17th century

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Photograph taken outside of Ivy Cottage c. 1925. L to R: Connie Hogg, Ada Stewart, Clarrie Stewart, Agnes Bird

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Sam Stewart (b. 1879) walking in front of his beloved Ivy Cottage c.1950.

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Charlie Marson’s daughter Ada with her husband Samuel Stewart in the entrance porch at Ivy Cottage c.1940.

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Ada Stewart and friend c.1904

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Ada Stewart on the right c.1930 with Lizzie Ainge and dog Randy

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Photograph taken on the front lawn of Ivy Cottage c.1915. L to R: Annie Stewart, Ada Stewart (nee Marson), Samuel Marson Stewart, Ada Stewart, Samuel Stewart, Clarrie Stewart,

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton L to R: Young Sam (with gun), Clarrie, Annie and Ada outside Ivy Cottage c.1911.

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Young Samuel Stewart with his sister Annie on the front lawn at Ivy Cottage

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Carrie and Ada Stewart

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton John Whyman and Clarrie Stewart (b.1902) taken at the entrance porch to Ivy Cottage before leaving to be married at Coleorton Primitive Methodist chapel

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Christopher Jones and Annie Stewart (b.1901) taken at the entrance porch to Ivy Cottage before leaving to be married at Coleorton Primitive Methodist chapel.

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Four generations of Stewarts on the lawn at Ivy Cottage c.1931 Sam Senior (from Lount) in the centre back, with Sam junior his son on his left and his grandson known as young Sam to his right with his daughter Betty in front.

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton c.1928 Samuel Stewart Senior and his wife Annie (nee. Richards) Standing on the veranda of the two bedroom wooden bungalow built for them and their disabled son John (aka Jack) to retire into from their small holding in Lount. To the left in the distance is the embankment of the old Coleorton railway and next door is the house named 'Cwm-Rhondda built by his grandson Samuel and his wife Agnes (nee. Bird).

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Samuel Stewart senior is standing with his granddaughter Ada who looked after him following the deaths of his wife and son on the veranda of the wooden bungalow

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton “Cwm-Rhondda”, Stoney Lane, Coleorton from the rear c.1970 built next to the original wooden bungalow which had been externally rendered by this time. The area forward of the old apple tree stump was where the underground bomb shelter was built which is defined by the raised ground area.

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton c.1928 Samuel Stewart senior with son John (aka Jack) and wife Annie.

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Roland and Ada (nee. Stewart) Hill after they were married and living in the bungalow

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Four generations of Stewarts' on the patio outside the Wooden Bungalow Back row:Agnes Stewart (nee Bird), Samuel Marson Stewart, Ada Stewart (Samuel Marson's sister) Front Row: Samuel Stewart of Lount, Betty Stewart (daughter of Sam & Agnes), Ada Stewart (nee Marson) holding Greta Stewart (daughter of Sam & Agnes)

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Marriage of Roland Hill and Ada Stewart (daughter of Samuel & Ada Stewart of Ivy Cottage) A - Gwen Poisier, B - Mary Saddington, C - Betty Stewart, D -Roland Hilll's sister, E -Samuel Stewart (Ada Stewart's father)

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton c.1928 The house named Cwm-Rhondda next to the Wooden Bungalow was built for Samuel and Agnes Stewart to move into following their marriage in 1924.

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Greta Stewart 1933 with 'Cwm-Rhondda' in the background

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Author Trevor Stewart at 'Cwm-Rhonnda' with Frankie Bailey's fowl pen and Whyman's / Bailey's cottages in the background - 1947

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Author Trevor Stewart on Stoney Lane opposite 'Cwm-Rhondda' with the Woolrooms in the background and further afield New Lount Colliery pit banks - c.1949

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton In the front garden at 'Cwm-Rhondda' Samuel Stewart with daughters Betty and Greta

Betty Stewart & John Weston

Betty Stewart & John Weston

The wedding of Betty Stewart (sister of the author) to John Leslie Weston of Whitwick Taken on the lawn of Coleorton Primitive Methodist Chapel. The author's mum made all the dresses and the page boys outfit. The bridesmaid’s were Betty’s sister Greta and Ethel Favargue of Farm town

Stewart Family

Stewart Family

Stoney Lane, Coleorton In the front garden at 'Cwm-Rhondda' Betty with mum Agnes Stewart

Betty Stewart & John Weston

Betty Stewart & John Weston

The reception for over 100 guests was held at Viscount Beaumont Church of England School. The food was prepared and carried through Coleorton Paddock in wicker clothes baskets to the Viscount Beaumont C of E school from the author's parents house in Stoney Lane, Coleorton.

Greta Stewart & Peter Cooper

Greta Stewart & Peter Cooper

The wedding of Greta Stewart to Peter Cooper of Bridge road, Coalville. The reception for over 100 guests was held at Viscount Beaumont Church of England School. Her sister Betty and Edna Hodges were the older bridesmaids.

Robert (Bob) Stewart

Robert (Bob) Stewart

(b.17th April 1894 - m.1917 - d.1967) Robert was the youngest of the Stewart family of Lount and left Staunton Harold School in August 1907 at the age of 13. He started work at Newbold Pipeworks, where by 1910 he had become a pipe finisher, a job he retained for the following 49 years.

Robert & Winnie Stewart

Robert & Winnie Stewart

The marriage of Frederick Robert Stewart To Winnie Childs Aug 25th 1917 A=Samuel Stewart Senior, B=Sarah Ann Stewart(nee Richards, C=Samuel Stewart Junior, D=Ada Stewart(nee Marson), E=Francis Henry Childs, F=Everlina Childs, G=Eva Ellen Childs, H=Clarrie Maria Stewart. Robert’s brother Samuel Junior was best man, and his sister Clarrie Maria was bridesmaid

Robert & Winnie Stewart

Robert & Winnie Stewart

Robert and wife Winnie (nee childs) with their only daughter Joan. Winnie worked at Haines Textile Factory in Melbourne, Derbys until their daughter Joan was born. Joan went to Staunton Harold School. They lived in Coleorton Pottery Row for a number of years and moved to Melbourne c.1925. Robert retired c.1959 after 52 years at the Newbold Pipe-Works. After Robert died, Winnie married Frank Dawkins, a long time friend of the couple. She died two weeks before her 100th birthday.

James Stewart

James Stewart

James Stewart (1878-1864) with his wife Clara (nee Hall)

Alf & Gertrude Bird

Alf & Gertrude Bird

The wedding of Alf and Gertrude Bird (nee Stewart). Her father James Stewart is on the right. Gertrude was the eldest daughter of James and Clara. The bottom right bridesmaid is possibly Gertrude's sister Evelyn (aka Peb)

Poly Whyman

Poly Whyman

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Poly Whyman lived with her mum and dad in the Whymans/Bailey's cottages till they passed away.

Whyman's and Bailey's Cottages

Whyman's and Bailey's Cottages

Stoney Lane, Coleorton The only photograph available c. 1947. of the Whyman's and Bailey's semi- detached cottages taken from Cwm-Rhondda, Stoney Lane. They had their gardens in the area over the hedge until they passed away and the land was purchased by George Robinson to build his bungalow on.

Minnie & Fankie Bailey

Minnie & Fankie Bailey

Stoney Lane, Coleorton Minnie and Frankie Bailey in this 1945 photograph, lived in the second cottage of the Whyman's/Bailey's Cottages

The Ginn Stables

The Ginn Stables

Time for a glass of ale and a pipe of baccy taken outside the Ginn Stables. The Beaumont estate office was located at the Ginn Stables over a period. The entrance to the stables was via a track off Outwood’s Lane, which cuts through from Lower Moor road to the Rempstone road

The Birch Family

The Birch Family

William Birch and his wife Mary Ann (nee Springthorpe) surrounded by six of their thirteen children. From left: Arthur, William & Mary Ann, Sarah Jane, Olive May on pony, Ada Ann, Beatrice & Clarice. Photograph taken c.1908 at Gelsmoor

Newbold's Golden Ox

Newbold's Golden Ox

Newbold and District Hospital’s Committee claim a national record at the auction of the first slice of roasted ox at their fete for Leicester, Derby, Loughborough and Ashby Hospitals. It was thought that the Ox was supplied by Kidger’s Butchers, of School Lane. Mrs. Kidger is the lady basting the Ox. On her left is Violet Hodges who lived in Providence Chapel house, and the lady right at the back is Bertha Richards, wife of Jim Richards the baker from School Lane.

Joshua Kidger

Joshua Kidger

Courtesy Of David Peake

Edward Price Kidger

Edward Price Kidger

Henry Harry Kidger

Henry Harry Kidger

Richards Bread Delivery Van

Richards Bread Delivery Van

James Richards with Enoch Richards sitting on the running board. The vehicle is pre 1932 registration. The bakery was located in School Lane, Coleorton. Their bread was delivered around the local area, and in the 1950/1960’s they had two bread rounds, the vans were driven by Albert and Jimmy Weston who both lived on Zion Hill.

Clara Hall (b.1851)

Clara Hall (b.1851)

Photograph taken outside the rear of the end Zion Cottages. Clara lived in the roadside end cottage with her husband George and family for a number of years in the early 1900s, after moving from Elverston's Yard off Stoney Lane, which was part of Rotten Row.

George Hall

George Hall

Clara's husband George Hall standing outside the rear entrance to the end cottage

Bill and Bessie Wilton

Bill and Bessie Wilton

Bill and Bessie Wilton standing in front of the "The White House" on Zion Hill, Coleorton in the early 1900s.

The Wilton Family c.1906

The Wilton Family c.1906

The Wilton Family In The Front Garden Of The White House Back Row - L To R William, Herbert, Thomas, George, Joseph, Sarah, Emmeline Middle Row - L To R Mary- Anne, Bill, Bessie, John (known as Jack) Front Row - L To R Arthur and Henry

Annie Hodges, Frederick & Herbert Gerald Hodges

Annie Hodges, Frederick & Herbert Gerald Hodges

Photograph taken c.1928 with Annie Hodges, her father Frederick (b.1889 in Griffydam) and her brother Herbert Gerald Hodges at the front of the cottage. In1901 Frederick had three siblings - Annie (9), Herbert (5) and Thomas (1), all born in Griffydam. Frederick married Emmeline Wilton of the White House. It is thought they moved into the cottage around 1912. In the 1921 census they had 4 children Frederick Raymond, Annie, Kenneth and Leonard

Annie Hodges

Annie Hodges

Annie Hodges, at the front of the cottage c. 1932. Annie was born in 1916 and lived all her life at the cottage. The cottage was known to have been in the families possession for c.100 years until Annie Hodges, the youngest daughter, who never married, passed away a few years ago.

Edgar Mee

Edgar Mee

Edgar Mee at work at the Blacksmith's shop, which was situated to the East of Swannington Island, on the opposite side to St. George’s Church. The Mee family, including Edgar, his father and grandfather had operated the shop for over a century (from c.1850)

Samuel Webster

Samuel Webster

Samuel Webster 1854-1939 (born in Limby Hall Swannington) married Eliza Smith (born in Griffydam). They became 'Latter Day Saints' and settled in their homestead at 'Mountain View', Cardston County, Alberta.

Eliza Webster

Eliza Webster

Eliza Webster (nee Smith) 1856-1941 born in Griffydam. Wife of Samuel Webster.

The Webster Family

The Webster Family

Samuel and Eliza Webster's. Photograph taken in Salt Lake City

Zilpha Draper

Zilpha Draper

Taken at Paddock House, Coleorton. People are are thought to be : Herbert Martin, Lilly Martin and Zilpha Draper (lodger) on the left. Zilpha was born in Griffydam in 1893. She become a nurse and ward sister and also travelled widely in England working in various hospitals, including Chester & Northampton. She is recorded in the 1939 register as lodging at "Paddock House", Coleorton. On her retirement around 1953, Zilpha moved back to Griffydam to live in a cottage at 25 Elder Lane.

Jack Harris

Jack Harris

Griffydam Advert shown at the Rex and Regal cinemas in Coalville. In 1940, a rather interesting gentleman by the name of Jack Harris took over ownership of No.39. Top Road, and opened up part of it as a general store. Jack died in 1953 and the shop was passed to Harry Weston and his wife Mary on his death. They delivered newspapers around the locality in their black Morris Minor car.

Jack Harris

Jack Harris

Griffydam Owner of the grocery shop at 39 Top Road

Peggs Green Darby & Joan Club

Peggs Green Darby & Joan Club

Pegg’s Green Darby and Joan club formed in 1953. L to R FRONT:Christine Allcoat’s Grandma, Mrs Hill, Mrs Wilton, Mrs Brooks, Mrs Reed, Mrs Harvey, Mrs Flo Morley, Mr Wilton MIDDLE:Mrs O’ Reilly, Mrs. Dimmock, Mrs Richardson, Mrs Morley, Sarah Barkby, Mrs. Barkby, Mrs Fern, Mrs. Fairbrother, Mrs Watkins, Mrs. Morley, Mrs Howkins, Mr Barker ?, Mr Morley. TOP: Mrs Williamson, Mrs Brown, Mrs Hutchinson, Mrs Rowell, Mrs. Morley,Mrs. Morley, Mrs Bradley, Mr. Harrison, Mrs Harrison

Peggs Green Darby & Joan Club

Peggs Green Darby & Joan Club

Thought to be the first outing in July 1954.

Peggs Green Darby & Joan Club

Peggs Green Darby & Joan Club

FROM L TO R ON BENCH Janet Draycott (Grandmother of Sheila Fisher), Albert Draycott (grandad), Mary Williamson (Sheila Fisher’s Mum), Lillian Platts BACK ROW L TO R Mrs. Morley, Sarah Barkby, Liza Waterfield, Mrs. Dimmock, Mrs. Leeson, Louie Hutchinson, Mrs. Marshall

Lydia Bird

Lydia Bird

Outside Sandringham House. Photograph taken from St. George’s Church, Swannington. Lydia (nee Fairbrother) from Griffydam was married to John and they had eleven children. John, Lydia and the children lived in, Anchor Lane, Pegg's Green, prior to moving to Sandringham House. The 1911 census shows them living at Sandringham House.

Lydia Bird

Lydia Bird

Lydia Bird at the front of Sandringham House

John Bird

John Bird

John Bird and his son Caleb (aka Kay)

John & Lydia Bird's Children

John & Lydia Bird's Children

Three of John and Lydia's children from L to R: Agnes, Eli and George Wilmott

Sarah Witham

Sarah Witham

Griffydam Sarah Witham outside the 18th century caretakers cottage. It was originally built by William Garner to the south of where the Chapel was subsequently erected in 1778. The cottage became a home for the Chapel caretakers' and Mr & Mrs Witham were the last known caretakers' to live there prior to it being demolished post 1931 to make room for further burials in the graveyard.

Vernon Smith

Vernon Smith

Vernon Smith, 2nd left, chairman of the Beaumont Centre, Peggs Green, receiving a £100 cheque from Reg Burton on behalf of customers of the New Inn, Peggs Green. With them are the landlord and landlady of the pub, Mr & Mrs E Bradford. Vernon, who lived in New Row, Peggs Green was a natural entertainer and will be remembered for the pantomimes at Coalville Adult School where he partnered Roy Johnson in comedy roles.

Beaumont Centre Revue

Beaumont Centre Revue

Members of the dancing team.Villagers at Peggs Green being entertained with a Revue at the Beaumont Centre. It was devised and produced by Roy Johnson of Coalville, assisted in the arrangement of dances by Brenda Clithero, of Coalville. Also taking part were Fred Richards, Bill North, George Morris, Beryl Norton, Peter Norton, Ken Hutchinson, Vernon Smith and Bill Bowley.

Vernon Smith & Roy Johnson

Vernon Smith & Roy Johnson

Pantomime Photo Front Left: Roy Johnson Back L To R: Roy Johnson's wife Janet, Vernon Smith and Gerald Callagan

Toc H Members

Toc H Members

Coleorton c.1946 The Toc H meeting hut was built in 1936 at the bottom of Laban and Clarrie Clifford's small holding adjacent to Pit Lane off the Upper Moor Road.

Labon Clifford

Labon Clifford

Founder member of Coleorton Toc H. Here with his wife Clarrie (nee Stewart)

Coleorton Darby & Joan Club

Coleorton Darby & Joan Club

On holiday in Bournemouth. Held in the Coleorton Primitive Methodist old chapel was the Darby and Joan Club. It started before 1950, and was still running in the 1970’s. The club was run for most of it’s time by Billy Brooks and his wife Renee (nee Horne) seen on either end of the front row. Lill Richard’s front row 4th left, Violet Hewitt 3rd left on the third row and next to her is Mary Barkby (nee Coates). Her husband Frederick Barkby is is third in from the left on the fourth row.

Coleorton Darby & Joan Club

Coleorton Darby & Joan Club

Committee outing at Skegness In the car, from left to right, are - Renee Brooks, Mrs. Parry, and Mrs. Holland. At the back are Mrs. Dora Wright, Agnes Stewart (the author’ Mum) and Florrie Shepherd. It is thought that Mrs. Knighton is turning the starting handle and was president of the club. Dora Wright who lived in Bakewell’s Lane with husband Herbert and daughters Jill and Pam was treasurer for many years.

The Royston Singers Of Newbold

The Royston Singers Of Newbold

L to R: ? , Billie Benson, Shirley Bettison (Nee. Hines), ?, ?, Doris Jakeman, Kath Lovell, Charlie Spare, ? , Herbert Rowell, Gwen Measures, ? , Jim Rowell, Elizabeth Menzies, Dorothy Spare, Royston Draycott, Lily Draycott, Violet Douglas, ? , ? , Barbara ?

The Royston Singers Of Newbold

The Royston Singers Of Newbold

L to R: Shirley Bettison (Nee., Hines), Hidden, Dorothy Spare, Violet Douglas, ? , Mrs. Richards (Newbold), Elizabeth Menzies, Maud Martin, May Wright, Ivy Fowkes, Mrs. Simms, Lily Draycott

The Royston Singers Of Newbold

The Royston Singers Of Newbold

Margaret Richards, Shirley Bettison, Behind ?, Kath Lovell, Doris Jakeman, ? , Violet Douglas, ? , Elizabeth Menzies, ? , ? , (Child In Front Not Known), Royston Draycott, Doris Hodges, Ivy Fowkes, Dorothy Spare, Lily Draycott (Nee., Menzies), Maud Martin, ? , Mrs. Richards (Newbold) ? , May Wright

Elizabeth Ann Tivey

Elizabeth Ann Tivey

The above postcard photograph was taken in front of Meadow View porch in Osgathorpe and depicts Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Tivey, who was born in France, together with her children Gertrude, Thomas, William and May. They lived in the 3 storey house to the left.

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges

Frank Hodges made a considerable contribution to the village of Newbold, and was the driving force behind several projects, provided employment, houses for managers and miners, and also had street lighting installed amongst other things.

John Lancaster

John Lancaster

John Lancaster was born in Radcliffe near Bury in 1815. He was a key figure in the British coal mining industry and responsible for opening a new coal mine in Heath End in 1873.

Sir George Howland Beaumont,

Sir George Howland Beaumont,

Sir George Howland Beaumont, 7th Baronet, of Stoughton by Joshua Reynolds 1778

Lady Margaret Beaumont

Lady Margaret Beaumont

Lady Margaret Beaumont by Joshua Reynolds 1780

George Dance

George Dance

Self portrait 1814

Sir George Howland Beaumont

Sir George Howland Beaumont

Portrait of Sir George Howland Beaumont 9th Baronet of Stoughton, by Eden Upton Eddis, possibly painted at the attainment of his majority in 1849

Sir George Howland William Beaumont

Sir George Howland William Beaumont

This photograph is of Sir George Howland William Beaumont, 10th Baronet, taken at Coleorton Hall sitting on the steps which lead in a northerly direction, from the rose garden terrace up to the memorial tablet in memory of the dramatist and poet Francis Beaumont. This Sir George was lord of the manor from 1882 to 1914. Photograph thought to be pre 1897

Coleorton Hall Staff

Coleorton Hall Staff

Staff at Coleorton Hall c.1925 during the time when the Abel Smiths’ were leasing the hall (1901-1926). A- Mr. Henry Wilson Junior (Head Gardener employed by the Abel-Smiths in 1902 B- Mr. Arthur Brooks (Gardener brother of Frank Brooks of Brook's Nurseries, Coleorton) C- “Gas Man” D- Mr. Bayliss (Head Coachman) E-Vic Whyman (Gardener)

Sir George Arthur Hamilton Beaumont

Sir George Arthur Hamilton Beaumont

Sir George Arthur Hamilton Beaumont, 11th Baronet, 1881-1933 seated on one of his horses (probably “Coleorton”) in his racing colours of a scarlet cap and French grey blouse

Sir George Arthur Hamilton Beaumont

Sir George Arthur Hamilton Beaumont

Sir George Arthur Hamilton Beaumont, 11th Baronet, 1881-1933 on the announcement of his wedding to Renee Muriel Northey of Surrey on 17th Nov 1923 at Epsom Parish Church

Renee Muriel Beaumont

Renee Muriel Beaumont

Renee Muriel Beaumont (nee Northey) of Surrey on the announcement of her wedding on 17th Nov 1923 at Epsom Parish Church to Sir George Arthur Hamilton Beaumont, Bart., of Coleorton Hall.

Sir George & Lady Renee Beaumont

Sir George & Lady Renee Beaumont

Coleorton Hall. Sir George and Lady Renee are in the centre, with his mother, the Lady Dowager on Sir George’s LH side. The occasion is thought to be the wedding reception held at the hall for 350 guests following their official wedding reception at Epsom

Sir George & Lady Beaumont

Sir George & Lady Beaumont

Sir George & Lady Renee Beaumont with son Francis and daughter Eleanor Brienne

George Howland Francis Beaumont

George Howland Francis Beaumont

George Howland Francis Beaumont (RH side), and his younger sister Eleanor Brienne. Photograph taken c.1930, in front of the sundial at Coleorton Hall.

Winnie Saddington

Winnie Saddington

Winnie Saddington (2nd cousin of the author) went into service at Coleorton Hall shortly after leaving school, aged 15½ and became nursery maid to the Beaumonts. The above photograph shows one of Sir George Beaumont’s, 11th Baronet cars, which was a French made “DELARGE” painted in his racing colours. The gentleman in the photograph is Raymond Walker, who was Sir George’s chauffer.

Winnie Saddington

Winnie Saddington

In service at Coleorton Hall

Winnie Saddington

Winnie Saddington

Winnie at 14 years old. She was the daughter of Bill Saddington and Sarah Ann (nee Stewart) and they lived at Swannington.

Lady Renee Beaumont

Lady Renee Beaumont

Lady Beaumont with daughter Brienne after Sir George had died in 1933

George Howland Francis Beaumont

George Howland Francis Beaumont

Lady Renee Beaumont pushing Francis with his mop of curly hair in his rather smart car.

Sir George & Lady Beaumont

Sir George & Lady Beaumont

Sir George with Lady Renee and the children at the races

George Howland Francis Beaumont

George Howland Francis Beaumont

George Howland Francis Beaumont, who became the 12th and last Baronet of Stoughton, with his father Sir George Howland Beaumont, 11th Baronet of Stoughton.

Mrs Renee Muriel Bell

Mrs Renee Muriel Bell

Mrs Renee Muriel Bell in 1940 at a race meeting wearing her owner’s badge. This was following her marriage to the racehorse trainer Capt. Bell in 1934 after the death of her first husband Sir George Beaumont, 11th Baronet.

Sir George Howland Francis Beaumont

Sir George Howland Francis Beaumont

Sir George with actress Barbara Singleton and dog Sandy in 1949. He married Barbara of Eccleston Mews, London on June 11th 1949, and their honeymoon took place in Capri. However, by the end of the year a very acrimonious situation had broken out and they were later divorce.

Lady Henrietta Beaumont

Lady Henrietta Beaumont

On Dec 27th 1963, Sir George Howland Francis Beaumont married Henrietta Anne Waymouth (b.1942). The marriage took place at St. Mary’s Shaw with Donnington, Berks. They had twin girls, born on June 12th 1967 named Georgina Brienne Arabella Beaumont and Francesca Renee Henrietta Beaumont.

Sir George Howland Francis Beaumont

Sir George Howland Francis Beaumont

Sir George Howland Francis Beaumont Warrant Officer - Australian Army Melbourne 1958. He joined the Australian Regular Army in 1952 and after fighting in Korea in 1958 he returned to Berkshire, England. He died on March 26th 2011 and came back home to be buried in the Beaumont family plot in St. Mary’s churchyard, Coleorton

Sir Robert Shirley

Sir Robert Shirley

1st Earl Ferrers

Selina Finch

Selina Finch

2nd wife of Sir Robert Shirley, 1st Earl Ferrers

Selina Countess of Huntingdon

Selina Countess of Huntingdon

Daughter of the 2nd Earl Ferrers

Washington Shirley

Washington Shirley

5th Earl Ferrers (1722- 1788)

Sewallis Edward Shirley

Sewallis Edward Shirley

10th Earl Ferrers 16th Baronet Shirley Of Staunton Harold Viscount Tamworth 1847-1912

Mr. Thomas Leadbitter

Mr. Thomas Leadbitter

On completing 21 years service as butler and house steward to the 9th and 10th Earls Ferrers

Samuel Greatbach

Samuel Greatbach

Head Gamekeeper to Lord Ferrers' for over 25 years

Joseph Chester

Joseph Chester

Lount Cross Roads Tollgate Joseph ran the tollgate possibly after the Griffon’s. The people in the photograph include William Baker (who lived at Rose Cottage, Lount & was a coal higgler), his daughter Mary Johnson and her son Walter Johnson, together with Joseph Chester

Ernest Victor Whyman

Ernest Victor Whyman

241306 Private Ernest Victor Whyman of Griffydam enlisted with the 1/6th Territorial Force Battalion which was part of the North Staffordshire Regiment, on the 25th October 1915 at the age of 17. Ernest received life changing injuries at the Battle of Messines 7th to 14th of June 1917. He was a gardener at Rangemore Hall before he signed up. Despite his injuries, he worked with an amputated leg and crutches as a gardener at Coleorton Hall for over 30 years.

bottom of page